Warrenville, IL Adoption Lawyer
Strong and Compassionate Adoption Attorney in West Chicago, Winfield, and DuPage County
Adopting a child is a major emotional investment into the life of another human being. The decision to adopt also requires an in-depth understanding of the process and an effective plan of action. If you need help with an adoption, it is important to work with a skilled family law attorney who is looking out for your rights and interests.
The Law Offices of Nancy Kasko, LLC has helped numerous clients with a wide range of adoptions in Illinois. Attorney Nancy Kasko handles all of our divorce and family law cases. Nancy has been through family legal struggles of her own in the past, and she has made it her mission to become a strong advocate for others who are facing similar issues. Nancy is honest and down to earth; she always provides the straight facts, so you can set proper expectations going into the process.
Nancy handles each adoption case personally, and she provides the individualized representation her clients need and deserve. Nancy takes the time to listen to your needs and learn the unique facts of your case, so she can develop the right strategy to secure a positive outcome. She also follows up with you regularly to see how you are doing and provide frequent updates on how your case in progressing.
Common Types of Adoption in Illinois
We assist clients with several forms of adoption. These include:
- Infant Adoptions: Case in which biological parents have relinquished the parental rights of their newborn for the purposes of adoption.
- Relative Adoptions: Cases in which the child is related to one or both parties who are adopting. Examples include aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins.
- Step-Parent Adoptions: Cases in which the adoptive parent is the spouse of one of the child’s biological parents.
- Adult Adoptions: Cases involving the adoption of a person over the age of 18.
We look at each case individually to determine if adoption is the appropriate course of action. For example, in some cases, guardianship might be a better alternative. We can also help with name change orders (if needed) when the process is complete.
Adult Adoption Requirements
Illinois is one of the few states that allows adult adoptions. The purpose of these types of adoptions is usually to establish the right of inheritance. In some cases, however, the adoptive parent wants to officially legalize his/her relationship with the child.
To qualify for an adult adoption, there are some specific requirements that must be met:
- The parent and adult to be adopted must have lived together for at least two years prior to filing. This requirement can be waived if the child and adoptive parent are related.
- The adult to be adopted must provide his/her consent.
Speak with a Skilled Carol Stream Adoption Attorney
If you are considering an adoption, you need strong legal counsel by your side to guide you through the process. Attorney Nancy Kasko understands the complexities involved with Illinois adoptions, and what it takes to bring your case to a successful conclusion. For a free consultation with attorney Kasko, contact our Warrenville office today at 630-836-8540 or our Wheaton office at 630-407-1665. We serve clients in Warrenville, Winfield, Wheaton, and West Chicago, Illinois.